Moonshine Rally

1st October 1982 - Hawks Moon BC

This rally was held in the same field just outside Horsham as the Between the Downs Rally, three months after that event.

It was a fact the organisers did not want publicised, as the quantity of insect life was a touch annoying back in the summer. Thankfully, it was not such an issue at this time of year.

It was the first time I had seen the use of microwave ovens at a rally, (for the jacket spuds), and, judging by their performance and draw on the generators, probably the last.

A good time was had by all on the Friday night, but it had started raining by the morning, and this stayed with us for most of the Saturday. Many people were seen wearing bin-liners and other large plastic bags.

Quite a few went to the pubs in town and I went with a group who just wanted a look around, as it was well within staggering distance. One of us discovered a discarded umbrella in a bin on the way, the rest of us made do with our hats.

Later on, back at the site, the games were held in the marquee. During the evening, despite the cooler weather, certain attendees seemed to lose a fair bit of clothing, to the approval of many other attendees.

Come Sunday, the rain was a distant memory, and most of the tents were drying out nicely. Mine certainly didn't need much of a hanging up at home.

- Phil (the Spill) Drackley

I've just discovered this when I was looking to see if I could find out anything about the Moonshine Rally in 1982.

It was over the weekend of my 24th birthday and I was engaged to be married to a non-biking woman. I had been diagnosed with a chronic arthiritic spine and had been told to stop riding bikes. I had got rid of my CB750/4 F1 but was still hanging out with my biker mates.

Earlier in the year I had gone pillion on a Guzzi V50 to the Le Mans to support Team Bike and I was asked if I wanted to go on a rally. I jumped at the chance.

I don't remember much about the Rally now, but I do remember entering the pickled onion eating competition. I think I came second, but I chewed them, the winner just swallowed them whole.

I got the badge and had it for years until I got back onto bikes about ten years ago and got my first set of cut-offs. The badge was pinned onto these, but dropped off a year or two ago.

So when I saw my photographs, top set, pictures 9 (in front) and 10, I was amazed. Thank you. I think photo 7 in the same set is Kev (surname lost in time) whose V50 I was pillion on.

The Le Mans and Moonshine rally were my last hurrah before I married and had kids. They are special moments and to see these photos is great.

I'm sorry I can't give you a location, I didn't even remember the rally was in Horsham until reading this.

- Simon Hall