2016 Cycling

Mayclick for this month's league table

The Cottage Inn, Fillongley

Seven Embers met at Hartshill Hayes Country Park for a ride that included plenty of hills overlooking the City of Birmingham. Despite being unfamiliar with this area of Warwickshire we still found our way to The Cottage Inn in good time for a well earned lunch.

The brilliant May weather brought a full turnout of knees for the first time this year. We paused to rest them at the Clock Tower Café by the canal on the way back.

The White Swan, Woodnewton

We welcomed Stuart Drage back to our ranks after his winter hibernation. Starting from Lyveden New Bield we soon stopped to try to sort out Mick's wheel. The swiftly on to The White Swan at Woodnewton. Happy birthday Stuart!

On the way back through Fotheringay we wheely lost our bearings. Dave and Grahame rode into Oundle while Mick wobbled along as fast as he dared. Once new bearing were fillted we all continued onto Oundle for coffee and cake at Coffee Tavern.

Bulls Head, Thringstone

Eleven Embers took to the road in no particular direction and would have become hopelessly lost and befuddled if it wasn't for Derek getting a puncture to slow their rapid descent into chaos. Luckily the show got back on the road to arrive back where we started bang on time for lunch at the Bulls Head. We were joined by Tony Loach, Bob Nash and Bob's minder for the day, Peter Wright.

After lunch those who could still stand up made their way to St Josephs Tea Rooms for the obligatory coffee and cake. Simon Over will fit into this group of scoundrels and wasters quite well.

Two Boats Inn, Long Itchington

The day started off as a routine ride down the Lias Line from Rugby to Warwick. We have taken this route several times over the past few years so we decided to ring some changes. However, after being lacerated by thorn bushes and clogged up with mud most of the Embers turned round and just three hardy souls continued. We planned to regroup at our usual banana break location. However, while eight Embers took their banana break, Derek was taking an ankle break!

Derek was stretchered down from the railway embankment by West Midlands Ambulance guys and carted off in their ambulance.

Derek's bike was recovered and the remaining Embers regrouped at the Two Boats Inn in Long Itchington where we were just in time to get lunch. Then it was time to return along the canal to The Boat Inn for a quick coffee.

Hoping for more luck in June.